Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Shaving forks (not with a razor)

I really like the look of polished forks. I keep seeing them online and I thought since I know how to polish I would give this a whirl. I figured the most difficult part would be the actual cutting of material. Mostly the entire process was difficult though.


Here I'm using paint stripper to remove the original paint. Buy a GOOD stripper. I didn't find the best stuff and I paid for it with a longer removal process involving several coats...




Grinding off the tabs for the fender and left brake were not terribly difficult, just time consuming. I used my Dad's air powered cutoff wheel.


From there it was a matter of grinding the material flush with a 90 degree sanding wheel (also the old man's). Then sanding through the grits as usual... (I did use some scotch bright pads to make the grinding cleaner before sanding)


I polished with two compounds black (coarse) and white (fine) to make them really shine.

2 comments:

  1. nice! Is that SS or will you have to protect it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its actually polished aluminum so yes, I will need to use a final polish compound like Mothers that will protect it long term.

    ReplyDelete