Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Had some time tonight to work a little on the pistons. From the image you can see the cleaned version on the left and the uncleaned on the right. Why am I doing this?? Would you use a dirty mop to clean your floor? NO of course not, that's why these pistons need to be clean so they can perform at their maximum potential! I will inspect the rings and their gap and clearance in the cylinders after they are cleaned. From my measurements I can determine whether to replace the rings or use the stock set.




I don't have access to a ultrasonic cleaner or a parts cleaner, so I am using Simple Green. Its a great method for cleaning carbon deposits from the head of the piston, have a look:

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Impressed with how much you know. Did you learn all of that from the manual?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the info about the pistons I'm reading in the manual (ring sizes, side scoring, etc). The cleaning technique is just something I thought would work and it turned out well.

    A little research would have you figuring out that you don't want to scratch the piston, and therefore you wouldn't use a tool to scrape or scratch the carbon off. I've seen people use a chisel or screw driver (not a good idea).

    ReplyDelete